Marcy Pusey, a presenter at the Children’s Book Mastery Conference online in January 2020, caught my attention. Then while looking on YouTube for kids read aloud books I listened to Marcy read her picture book, Tercules. I loved it so much I posted it on a FB page. Add to this the inspiring Ted Talk she did on “How Stories Empower Kids to Shape Our World” I became a fan. So it was a no brainer when her new book “The Abundance of Less: A Social Experiment of Not Buying Anything New for One Year launched. Read it, liked it, recommend it for all of you who want to find out how a family of six went counter cultural and defied commercialism to live on the overflow of our North American culture.
Hooked from the start with the word ‘contentment’ I read on. In our North American culture this is indeed counter cultural. The Abundance of less…” is packed with wonderful ideas, stories, and encouragements. It will become a reference book in my library.
Marcy’s journey is so relatable. Find out what she learned and how it changed her, and her family. Why do we live pay check to pay check? How can you start a FB group to share free stuff in your local community? … and much more.
Said with a wonderful sense of humor, “The Abundance of Less: A Social Experiment of not spending anything for a Year” will inspire you and give you a game plan to make a difference. ALL of us can become part of the solution. Ditch your ‘I’m only one-person mentality. ‘ You are one person who, through your choices ,can make a difference.
12 bits I loved about reading “The Abundance of Less …:”
Some are good reminders while others were new:
- Pg. 22 – “… so you save a few dollars, your still spending” True, are you saving if you do not need it? So relatable
- Pg. 24 LOVED what is said about smart phones and the whole dependency thing. Hallelujah sister – bring back balance of independent and interdependent our culture sucks at it.
- Pg. 69 Getting rid of your immediacy and develop patience. Marcy has a great relatable time- share story. Yup a sale is not always a sale, especially when you do not really need the item.
- Pg. 75 “lesser no’s for the best yes” and “Learn the rewards of waiting.”
- Pg. 89 Reframing
- Pg. 91 Letting go of stuff (YUP working on that one). Loved how Marcy got creative and gave work parties for stay at home moms (3 cheers).
- Pg. 96 “feeling misunderstood” (SO normalizing)
- Pg. 124 YES, dispelling the American dream
- Pg. 132 “Failure is getting up, dusting yourself off and trying again.” Love it.
- Pg. 161 hold things loosely and it is wonderful how she included her kid’s comments.
- Pg. 153 Living with balance
- Pg. 157. The challenge and to choose hope.
As you learn to let go of stuff and lessen your load you will feel lighter. You will discover a calmness, as peace settles in your soul. Less is indeed, more abundance. So pick up your copy and get started.
Here is an additional article you may find interesting –